Does your LG TV not display pictures exactly as they are, and the Just Scan feature is also grayed out?
It may sound like a small problem, but I along with many LG TV users have experienced it ruining the entire experience when playing games or watching shows.
Basically, LG TVs come with the “Just Scan” feature, which allows users to view pictures or videos at the same resolution as they were recorded or were coming from connected devices and make sure that they don’t go out of the screen.
Upon experiencing this issue on my LG C1, I researched it and contacted LG TV support.
Here’s what they suggested and explained about the Just Scan and Aspect Ratio options:
- It is important that the TV is set to Home Use if you wish to use all picture settings and features such as Just Scan.
- The following options are available for adjusting a picture:
- 16:9: In 16:9 mode, the picture is adjusted horizontally, in a linear proportion to fill the entire screen.
- Just Scan: When Just Scan is enabled, the top and bottom edges of the screen are not cropped by 1-2%. As a result, the complete video is displayed.
Note: Just Scan supports DTV, CADTV, HDMI-DTV, Component, and DVI-DTV (720p/1080i/1080p) HDMI-PC (1920 x 1080).
Why Is the Just Scan Feature Greyed out And Not Working on My LG TV?
In most cases, only a few things will cause the Just Scan option to become grayed out and unusable. These include:
- TV is in a different mode than “Home Use”.
- Connected input conflicting with the TV settings.
- Incorrect mode is being connected or identified by the TV.
- TV picture settings are glitched causing the Just Scan feature to be non-usable.
As now we are aware of the most common reasons for the Just Scan option to become grayed out, let’s move on to troubleshooting.
How To Fix Just Scan Greyed Out Issue On LG TV?
It can be a bit difficult to diagnose and fix LG TV’s Just Scan feature not working or being grayed out, but with a few troubleshooting steps, we can get the Just Scan feature back working.
Configure Overscan Settings On Connected Device
First and foremost, If Just Scan is grayed out on your LG TV, check the overscan settings on your console or computer.
The procedure for locating and resetting these settings may vary depending on your connected device type like Gaming Console, PC, PS5, etc.
Note: So, Ensure that any video output settings on your console, such as PlayStation or Xbox, are set back to their defaults.
The Just Scan feature should work again once these have been set back to their default values.
Change Input Icon to PC from Console
A second solution reported by LG TV users who faced problems using Just Scan is to trick the TV into thinking the input is a PC.
You can get it done easily and here’s how to do it:
- Access the settings menu of your LG TV.
- Once you are in the settings menu, look for the input icon and change it from console to PC.
- By doing this, your TV will detect that the picture is coming from a PC instead of a console.
This allows you to use the Just Scan feature which provides an optimal viewing experience by displaying images at their native resolution without any scaling or over-scanning picture.
Factory Reset TV
In the event that none of the above solutions work for you, you need to consider setting your TV back to its factory default settings, which will clear out any conflicted or glitched picture settings that may be causing the Just Scan feature to be disabled.
Basically, when I faced this issue on my LG C1 TV, I decided to perform a factory reset as a last resort, since all other methods had failed.
It was a bit of a nuisance because it wiped out all the applications and settings I had previously set up on my TV.
However, after going through this process I noticed that the Just Scan option became active again and I was able to finally change it according to my preferences. This fixed the issue and now the feature is working properly.
Here’s How To Reset Your LG TV To Factory Default Easily:
- On your TV Remote, Press the “Smart button” > Click the “Gear Icon” in the top right.
- After that select “General” > “Reset to Initial Settings”.
Contact LG Customer Service
If none of these troubleshooting steps resolve the issue, then you should contact LG customer service for further assistance. They can provide more detailed instructions on how to fix any issues with the Just Scan feature on your LG TV.
See Also: What To Do When Your LG TV Keeps Changing Picture Settings?
Issues with our LG TV’s Just Scan feature not working or being grayed out can surely affect our viewing experience on our TV whether it is to watch anything via a connected input device or playing games.
Hopefully, you have been able to get this fixed on your LG TV with the help of the above guide.
In a nutshell, LG’s Just Scan is LG’s version of 1:1 pixel mapping. When this option is disabled, LG’s TVs will perform a slight overscan on the video image, which should be noticeable as the video is zoomed in slightly and the edges are cropped to correct the distortion.
Here’s what to do when your “Just Scan” option is “Grayed Out” or not working on your LG TV:
- Check the overscan settings on your console/PC and reset them to defaults.
- Try changing the HDMI input.
- Change input icon to PC from console.
- Factory Reset the TV to factory default settings.
You May Like: Fixing LG TV Picture Too Big Out Of The Screen Issue Easily!