Are you getting slow internet on your LG TV, have tried both connections (Wired and Wireless) but wondering why the speed is slow and wish to make it faster.
Well don’t worry, almost all of us often face such issues where despite trying multiple ways the internet on smart TVs runs so slow causing buffering interestingly at that time when we check our ISP’s speed on other devices it shows fast compared to the TV.
Undoubtedly, Slow internet speeds on LG TVs can be frustrating and this happens due to multiple factors, including limitations in the built-in Ethernet ports and wireless cards, as well as interference from other electronic devices and the distance between the router and the TV.
In this guide, I will explain the reason as well as a working solution through which you can get rid of the slow internet on your LG TV’s any model whether you are using a wireless connection or connected the TV via ethernet cable to the router.
Causes of Slow Internet Speed on LG TVs
First, let’s see what are the main reasons for the slow internet connection on your LG TV.
With smart TVs, picture quality has never been better, HDMI ports have never been faster, and streaming content quality has never been better. However, the Internet is one area where technology hasn’t caught up yet.
It’s true that wireless coverage has improved, which means faster speeds, but those speeds aren’t always consistent. I have personally encountered this issue with some of the newer TVs I have seen. Even when you connect an Ethernet cable, speeds are often limited to about 100Mbps. This is a bummer because you’d think that a wired connection would be faster.
Let’s see why it is.
Limited speed of inbuilt Ethernet ports:
- Many television manufacturers only including 10/100 Ethernet ports on their TVs, which limits the connection speed to 100 megabits per second.
Cap of 100 Mbps:
- LG also does this and If you are using an Ethernet connection on your LG TV, the maximum speed you can reach is 100 megabits per second (Mbps).
Because of this limitation, the download and upload speeds will never exceed 100 megabits per second, which becomes a major reason for the slow internet speed you are getting.
If you are using a wireless instead of a wired connection, let’s see what causes slow internet speed over a wireless connection.
On the other hand, Wi-fi modules on Smart TVs are somehow better than in the earlier days, mainly to cut cords and keep things working wirelessly, manufacturers are focussed on providing better wireless connectivity but it still has its limitations mainly because of frequency conflicts.
Interference from other electronic devices:
- Wi-Fi connections can be less stable and more prone to interference from other electronic devices nearby.
Distance from the router:
- Speed can also be affected by how far your TV is from your wireless router.
Limited speed of built-in wireless cards:
- Some built-in wireless cards don’t deliver high-speed connections.
How To Improve Speed On LG Smart TVs?
Now let’s see how you can optimize the internet speed and make it faster on your LG TV overall including its Web Browser’s speed.
Connecting directly to a router using an Ethernet cable :
- This may help in boosting internet speed when the distance is not more than 100ft and the ethernet cable is of CAT6 standard or higher, this can deliver faster internet speeds than what you may be able to achieve with the built-in Ethernet ports.
Using a USB to Ethernet adapter:
- You can use a USB to Ethernet adapter also known as a Gigabit Ethernet port, to connect an Ethernet cable to the USB port on the television, which actually allows for faster internet speeds by bypassing the inbuilt 100mbps ethernet port cap of your TV.
Also, using an Ethernet cable to connect to the router, although it may be less convenient, is a more stable and faster option than using Wi-Fi.
It is important to note that the type of Ethernet cable used may also play a role in internet speeds, using a CAT5e or CAT6 cable can ensure faster speeds.
Upgrading built-in wireless card:
- Some TVs allow you to upgrade the built-in wireless card, which can help to increase internet speed.
Using a Wi-Fi range extender:
- WiFi extenders and boosters increase the range of Wi-Fi networks and ensure stable networks by avoiding frequency conflicts due to their dynamic frequency settings and higher bandwidths.
Moving the router closer to the TV:
- This can help to reduce interference/obstacles and improve the connection.
Changing the wireless channel:
- As stated earlier wireless connection on TV is mostly affected by the conflict between frequencies and changing the wireless channel can help to reduce interference from other wireless devices, leading to a stronger and more stable connection for the TV.
Slow internet speeds on LG TVs can be caused by limitations in the built-in Ethernet ports and wireless cards, as well as interference from other electronic devices and the distance between the router and the TV.
Solutions such as using a USB to Ethernet adapter, upgrading the built-in wireless card, using a Wi-Fi range extender, moving the router closer to the TV, and changing the wireless channel can help to improve overall internet speeds.
Moreover, It’s important to consider the specific cause of slow internet speeds on your LG TV, and to try out the different solutions that I’ve listed, because often the inbuilt apps on your TV glitch or become outdated and start lagging.
That’s why, It will be helpful to monitor your internet speeds on the TV, by using a speed testing app and compare it to the internet speeds promised by your internet service provider. This can help identify any issues related to your internet service.
In conclusion, slow internet speeds on LG TVs can be caused by a variety of factors, but with the right solutions and troubleshooting, the best solution which I personally prefer is to use a USB-Ethernet (Gigabit adapter) which bypasses the inbuilt 100 Mbps limitations on Smart TV ports including your LG TVs.
Why is my LG TV experiencing slow internet speeds?
Slow internet on LG TVs can be due to limited Ethernet/wireless, interference from other devices, and distance from the router.
Is there a way to increase internet speeds over Ethernet on my LG TV?
Yes, using a USB to Ethernet adapter can help increase internet speeds over Ethernet on your LG TV.
Additionally, connecting directly to a router using a high-speed Ethernet cable such as CAT6 or above and adjusting router and network settings can also help to improve speeds.
How can I increase internet speeds over Wi-Fi on my LG TV?
Upgrading the built-in wireless card, using a Wi-Fi range extender, moving the router closer to the TV, and changing the wireless channel can help to increase internet speeds over Wi-Fi on your LG TV.
Also, make sure the router is up-to-date with the latest firmware and disable Quality of Service settings on your router.
What is the recommended minimum internet speed for streaming on LG TV?
Streaming services like Netflix and Disney+ currently don’t exceed 40 megabits per second, but some of you may be streaming movies from your NAS or Plex and many 4K HDR movies contain Peaks exceeding 100 megabits per second.
Also, Sony’s new Bravia Core streaming service recommends a minimum internet speed of 115 megabits per second for the highest quality, which is beyond the 100 megabits per second cap of the inbuilt Ethernet ports on Sony televisions.